Your studio is your haven, your cave of creativity, your "me" space! It is as personal as the work that comes out of it. One thing that studios everywhere could probably use is some ORGANIZATION, and thanks to Delphi's second annual studio contest we can all learn some secrets to keeping it clean.
In 2011, we featured those of you who had the Messiest Studios. We had 50 photo entries in that contest, and boy we really enjoyed seeing the functioning chaos. This year we explored the opposite end of the spectrum, hoping to gain some insights, tips, and methods to keeping an art glass studio neat and tidy.
Whether you have a large dedicated space for your studio, or like most you are repurposing a section of your home to accommodate your ever growing passion for glass, these tips will help you get organized.
Tips from the Contest Participants
- Clean up before you start a project.
- Use reclaimed building materials or "upcycle" old kitchen cabinets.
- Repurpose vintage display or office furniture found at thrift stores. Example record album rack converted for glass storage or commercial baking racks for storage of slumping molds.
- Use labeled plastic containers on shelves and in drawers.
- Pegboards are not only for holding tools but they can also organize glass rods.
- Organize supplies inside drawers to help keep work surfaces clean.
- Put wheels on your work and/or storage tables (locking of course) so they can move easily.
- Lighting, lighting, lighting....if you can't see you can't create!
- Clean up after you finish a project.
Check out all of the photos from the contest and cast your vote now
through July 28, 2012. The winner will receive a $200 Delphi Gift Card. We will announce the winner on July 30th along with a slideshow of all the photos submitted. Hopefully you will be inspired to get organized too!