Splendor in the Glass's Profile
I have had a broad spectrum of interests and a thirst for knowledge since childhood. My mother fostered in me a passion for reading, while my father molded me into a “do-it-yourselfer” with a can-do attitude. Through my aunts I gained an interest and skills in handcrafts and clothing construction. I became a life-long learner with the philosophy that, “Life is continuing growth through the process of gaining and sharing knowledge.” So it is not surprising that my careers have spanned the fields of medicine, education, library science and art.
In the early 1980’s, while seeking a distraction from a period of personal turmoil, I was introduced to stained glass as a hobby. Soon I wanted to take it beyond that level and explore it as an art form. I continued to work with stained glass as time permitted while teaching, working part-time, attending graduate school and taking on the role of care-giver for my mother.
Now retired from teaching, I have combined my artistic expression and a passion for glass, forming them into a business. Splendor in the Glass is an artist’s studio, glass and related materials are the media I use to create pieces of art. I continue to push the limits of glass as an artistic medium, by exploring unique configurations and incorporating materials beyond the confines of the expected. Most of the works resulting from these explorations and personal expressions are available for sale, but the focus of my business is commissioned works for individual clients.
• Diagnostic X-ray Technologist - Training at Peninsula Regional Hospital
• BS Degree in Liberal Studies with concentration in Art Studio and Art Education -
Salisbury State University
• Post Graduate coursework – Salisbury State University, Boston State University,
University of Southern Mississippi, Clarion University of Pennsylvania
• Master of Library Information Studies Degree - University of Hawaii at Manoa
• Diagnostic X-ray Technology - full and part-time in Maryland, Delaware and
West Virginia until 1992
• Maryland Public School Education - Art Teacher and Library Media Specialist for 24 Years
• Adjunct Faculty Blackwell Library, Salisbury University 2000- 2003