Create Custom Blown Ornaments The Simple Way
Making custom glass ornaments is easy with Glaskolben pre-blown clear glass cylinders with blow pipe ends. Glaskolben may be blown freehand into a ball using a Hot Head torch (item# 7329) and MAPP gas, eliminating the time consuming method of "pulling points" from glass tubes. Roll hot cylinder into frit before blowing to decorate.
Annealing temperature is 950° F. 1mm wall, 28mm diameter before blowing. 10 cylinder pack, includes instructions and 12 silver plated caps and loops. 90 COE compatible.
For more information, see the User Manual under additional images to download an illustrated step-by-step guide, or watch our quick online video.
- Rotate the Glaskolben constantly in one direction while heating.
- Use two hands if needed to stabilize your project in the flame while rotating to prevent wobbling into and out of the flame.
- The tip of the Glaskolben has more mass and will take longer to heat to a softened state, concentrate heat there and periodically move the center into the flame to heat evenly.
- Begin by blowing firmly, but be prepared to reduce pressure quickly if needed to prevent over-stretching soft glass.
- Keep your Glaskolben level to prevent accent glass from gathering only at the tip or from pouring into the pipe.
Do not tip the Glaskolben bulb above the blow pipe end while blowing or handling your hot bulb.
First grouping of ornaments created by artist Tia Collin, remaining ornaments by Val Oswalt-De Waard